Thursday, November 13, 2014

September Update

I’ve had several people in the last week ask for an update on how I am doing,
so
this is a note on how I am doing. 

I’ve not been writing much because previously I wrote a lot during bouts with insomnia.  Thankfully,
I’m having less of that now, and when I do I am trying to stay in bed and rest even if I cannot sleep.  It’s much harder to write during the day with a wiggly toddler on your lap!  I am still tired all the time, last Sunday I was so nauseated before church from fatigue that I thought I might throw up and
for the first time in a long time contemplated taking one of my anti-nausea medications.  I’m grateful that it just lasted a couple of hours.  After I got up in the morning, I was able to push through it and go the rest of the day feeling better.

Post-treatment fatigue is a very common topic of conversation amongst my young women’s cancer support group.  I am now almost 10 months out from the end of my treatment and I still get sick I am so tired.  I’m also sick of being tired.  People around me are sick of asking me how I am doing and hearing, “Tired.”  But, it’s the reality of having gone through treatment.  Even women who have “just” had their breast amputated (a.k.a. mastectomy) report feeling very fatigued one year later.  It’s a long road.

The blessing is that there is joy in the journey, even if it is over things that you previously wouldn’t have known to be thankful.  For one, my lymphedema is in remission.  (Insert your own personal, “Woot!  Woot!” here :)  I never could figure out a good way to deal with the swelling in my chest and underarm and during a particularly hot summer spell I stopped wearing my sleeve.  You see, not wearing your sleeve can trigger an episode, but so can being too hot.  I decided to be cooler and deal
with it if it happened again.  Well, it’s been 6 weeks now and I have not a drop of swelling in my arm.  Thank you God!

I am also sleeping less and feeling better on the whole.  I do get really, really tired but I am averaging 8-10 hours of sleep a night and functioning okay during the day on that.  Not that I wouldn’t like a nap, but I have been able to start some schooling with the kids; we have so much to catch up on!  I am so grateful I am feeling well enough to get up at 8am most mornings so I can start our schooling
by 9:30.  Thankfully Faith is just starting the 3rd grade and Caleb the 1st so the regular days are not that long and it is easy to do extra to make-up the previous year.  Faith is such an avid reader that we only have math and spelling to catch up for her and Caleb is hardly behind except to practice his writing.  Thank you God for feeling well enough to teach my kiddos, I wasn’t sure if this day would ever come!


I have met with my breast surgeon for my one year follow up and received a clean bill of health as far as we can tell.  He gave me a good feel up on my remaining breast near the area where there are spots on my MRI, but we both can feel nothing suspicious there.  As it has been 6 months since my MRI, I am so grateful nothing seems to be growing in that area!

My only melodrama has been working with a naturopathic medical office, this is to check on some things that aren’t really of concern to my oncologist or general practitioner, and working with a dentist.  Namely, having dumped all those toxins in my body to try to kill any remaining cancer cells, how’s my body recovering? 

My oncologist’s focus is on if the cancer has returned, and the G.P. is focused on whether I am actively sick; but, am I well?  We checked my post-chemo bone density (it looked great!!) and my thyroid (it gets fried during chemo too, but my numbers were excellent!).  I was deficient in some vitamins, but I don’t currently have a lot of inflammation in my body (inflammation is a breeding ground for cancer)!  I am currently undertaking, get this, a diet with no: sugar, coffee, chocolate, dairy, eggs, soy, corn, beef or gluten, but I am already off gluten because I am intolerant.  During the next 4 weeks I am eating this way and taking some probiotics and this powder that going to help dump the toxins out of my gut, liver, and system in general.

I thought I ate pretty healthy before, but, yeah.  Not as green as this!  Josh has decided to martyr himself on the cross of healthy eating as well, mostly so he doesn’t get killed with the envious glares of his wife!  I love that my husband is willing to lay down his mocha for me and take up his vegetables.

I am seeing the dentist for post treatment damage to my teeth, another area cancer treatment tends to wreck havoc.  I don’t have any cavities (Woot!) but I have some cracking and wear to my front teeth and along my gum line.  During chemo even if you aren’t throwing up a lot of people have major reflux (hard on your teeth) or extreme dry mouth (hard on your teeth).  I didn’t have the dry
mouth but I did have tons of reflux and I started grinding my teeth like a madman from the stress.  So, unfortunately we are looking at having to fix many of my front teeth so I don’t have to get dentures at say, 40.

I, lucky dog that I am, get to see my oncologist in October on the same day I follow up with the dentist.  The visit with the oncologist will just be my normal every 4 months check up.  But that is it on the health front for me.  Aren’t I doing well?  Oh, I almost forgot, I HAVE HAIR.  It’s driving me crazy it’s so crazy (it grows faster in the back currently, and tries to look like a mullet), but it is back.   I have even had it cut once.  I will probably even go back in October to get rid of the mullet-esk parts.  
 
It’s a good life when all you are concerned about is your hair and sugar/caffeine cravings, and your teeth.  Thank you God.

No comments:

Post a Comment