Thursday, November 13, 2014

10 Reasons I am Thankful I had Cancer Tonight

 
10. Ironed sheets.  I know.  You’re jealous.  But you too could have biopsy-induced insomnia, be sitting around your living room at 9pm and think:  Those sheets I just folded are really wrinkly.  I hate sheets that smell dryer fresh, but are not smooth.  Heh.  I’m going to be up for the next several hours.
I could iron those.


9.  Endless trips to treatment.  Tomorrow I will get at least 3 hours of either: A. blessed silence or B. enjoyable conversation with my sister.  With the amount of chaos I usually drive around (our kids are: 7, 6, 4, and 15 months) seems like a win/win most days.

8.  Special times of closeness with God when I pray. 

7.  Who doesn’t like getting cards in the mail?  Thank you to Miriam, Aunt Susie and Gerri for your love, prayers and constant support and your cards I received today in the mail.
What a gift.

6.  Getting to practice being patient.  Don’t you just love when God answers your prayers to be a better person by getting to practice the things you completely suck at?  Is it time for the biopsy?  What time is it?  When are we leaving?  Are we there yet?

5.  Suffering.  Now, don’t get me wrong there isn’t anything fun about suffering, but there is something good about it.  I hope and I pray my suffering helps someone else; I get a chance to understand Christ’s suffering on the cross better; I get the chance to become a better person.  Sucks, but I am grateful. 
Most days.

4.  The bearers of good coffee.  Love you, Josh, for making me coffee every morning before you leave for work.  Love you, Becky, that you thought to bring coffee tomorrow to give me something to look forward to; love that we get to spend the day together. 

3.  The people I get to meet.  I would never have met Katie Burke, Kelly Turanski, Erin Couture or Jen McManus if we each didn’t have cancer.  I am beyond grateful for these women of God who encourage me to be courageous, not just because I have cancer, but because life calls us to sacrifice for others. 

2. Dutch Brothers Coffee – it’s not the biopsy that’s getting me out of bed tomorrow, it’s the Dutch Brothers skinny mocha that my sister is bringing me before we head out the door.

1.  My husband who gets up every night with baby Katie when she can’t sleep (which is most nights as we have decided that she must be allergic to sleeping), but still manages to get out the door by 6:30am to provide for us.  Thanks for laying your life down for your family.  Not every wife gets to see their husband be a hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment