Thursday, November 13, 2014

May the odds be ever in your favor

I was going to write about how getting diagnosed by cancer is like having your name drawn for The
Hunger Games
only it’s this giant cancer death match, but I’m not sure the analogy quite works or how many of you have read the trilogy.  To make a long story short, my breast tissue looks benign on ultrasound.

A breast MRI is done with and without this contrast that is taken up by quickly growing cells and can indicate spots in breast tissue that are cancerous because they are growing abnormally quickly.  Almost exactly a year ago I had this same test done and it highlighted exactly the areas I had cancer, and was right in every single spot.  Today, I have a sort of divot in my breast that is visible when I raise my arm and corresponded to one of the areas of concern from the MRI.  There were two areas that “lit up”, both around 6-7mm.  MRIs are wonderful in their detail but they can give false positives, hence the reason they wanted an ultrasound of the areas before moving on to biopsy.  My chances of getting cancer again in my other breast are much higher than the average woman, and my chances of having something that shows up on a scan actually be cancer are subsequently higher
too.  Thankfully today that didn’t appear to be the case.

So, another area of my body that we are watching and waiting, in the mean time we are REJOICING!!

We were prepared for very bad news today.  Not everyone gets called back for their ultrasound from the cancer coordinator.  But, today, I got lucky or blessed depending on your world view and I am so grateful to God for another day that I appear to be cancer free.

Thank you for all your prayers, and remember, “May the odds be ever in your favor.”

No comments:

Post a Comment