Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Mouth sores


Apparently canker sores (or should I say, cancer sores!) are a side effect of chemo. I didn't think that I would get them because I made it 2 rounds without any and then this weekend, WHAM! My mouth is full of them.  Chemo kills fast growing cells of all kinds, it's why hair falls out, and the cells in your mouth are constantly re-generating quickly to heal itself.  Only not so much in my mouth right now. 

I got this prescription mouthwash to use, dubbed "magic mouthwash" by I don't know whom that is supposed to help. It's some combo of 3 different things to numb the effected areas and help keep the sores clean. I haven't tried it yet because I'm kinda afraid of the taste actually. You know how medicine usually tastes like medicine?  Yuck.  Well. I don't actually know if it's gross. I'm just imagining.  My gag reflex is really exaggerated with all the nausea from chemo and my imagination is quite good :).

No comments:

Post a Comment