Thursday, November 13, 2014

1 Year Later

The radiologist was so sure even from my mammogram and ultrasound that Friday afternoon, March 11th, 2011. “We think your lump is breast cancer, start preparing a support team.”  I remember standing in Josh’s arms in our kitchen as we cried that weekend.  But, March 15, 2011 we had our “official” diagnosis.  My biopsy the day before come back, the tumor I could feel was malignant.  Isn’t it funny how much can happen in a year?  How much can change?  I remember the blood splattering my face during the biopsy (I was nursing Kate and so had lots of extra blood supply), and
just thinking, “This is happening to me?”
It felt scary and unreal.

March 15, 2012 I have a check up with my oncologist.  He says, “You look MUCH better than last
month!”  I have caught every cold swirling through Oregon this winter since Chemo and with exodus of the January/February version that came with a cough, I have no lung pain.  I can breathe without stabbing pain in my chest!!!!!  I get to graduate to coming in to the oncologist every 3 months now while I start yet another round of physical therapy for my shoulder. 

March 15, 2012 my kids are 7 ½, 6, 4 and 17 months.  I still crawl out of bed most mornings, but we
are starting back in to homeschooling.  Faith is working hard to catch up from the 6 months of school that we have missed and Caleb is starting to read.  Joy is practices her letters while Kate eats crayons and sticks every pencil in the box in the sharpener just to hear the sound it makes.

March 15, 2012 I run even though it is raining.  I am up to between 1 ¼ and 1 ½ miles each time and am preparing for the Shamrock Run in Portland on March 18th.  It’s an 8k race (about 5 miles) that everyone will run but my sister and me.  Even though she can run much farther she is going to stay with me as I walk and run my way to the finish line.  Each step is a small celebration, “I can run.  I can breathe.  I CAN RUN!  I CAN BREATHE!” 

March 15, 2012 I am alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment