Thursday, November 13, 2014

Radiation Simulation

Another lovely day at the Cancer Center yesterday compliments of breast cancer. (I pause and think about the astronomical amount of money that we have spent this year on my surgery, treatments, and gas; and the amount of money that we haven't spent because Josh has such great insurance, thank you God!) 

We went in for what they call a "simulation" day.  Another blood test to make sure that I am not pregnant and we met with the radiation oncologist.  The radiation treatments I will be receiving (both proton and electron beams for those science nuts out there) are to try to destroy any remaining cancer cells in my chest wall and underarm or in the lymph nodes in my chest and clavicle area.  Studies show that a certain percentage of breast cancer patients will still have a re-occurrence after chemo or will have microscopic cancer cells that have traveled up to the lymph nodes in your neck.  Radiation will kill the cancer in those areas for a certain percentage of women.  (We hope that I am in that group :)

Part of the visit was a CT scan with all these wire things and metal dots and just plain old sharpy marker drawn all over my chest and sides.  I seriously was lit up like a bizarre Christmas Tree.  First the oncologist drew in red sharpy a big rectangle (think dot to dot picture) and then, also with red a big cross hairs mark near my belly button and on my sides in line with the red belly button x.  Then black sharpy joined the red sharpy to make lines instead of dots to form the box.  Then there was this yellow zigzag wire thing with sticky on the underside that went near my neck in two places.  There were these pink sticker things, and blue and then what they called "bee-bees" and looked exactly like something a kid would fire from a gun that got taped on too.  All this was so when I finally went into the CT machine the marks would show up to sort of "outline" the target area, so they can tell what is scar tissue and so that they can line up that machine that will send the radiation exactly the same way every time.  The techs made a sort of bean bag solid form around my head and torso to hold me in the same position (arms above my head, my head tilted to the right) every time.

I don't know what I expected, I expected it to be emotional but it wasn't.  Part of it was the presence of a film crew doing a documentary of sorts on breast cancer patients, part of it was that I found the science end of things completely interesting and kinda cool.  I was calling the proton beams proton torpedoes and Josh and I kept making each other laugh.  I felt really tired by the end of the day, so the day was definitely stressful, but not a bad day.

Thank you God for another day to live, even if I lived it at the doctors.  Thank you God for another day with my family.  I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment