Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Butchering the hair


I've read a lot about people's hair follicles hurting when their hair is thinning from Chemo but couldn't imagine the experience. It is so weird!! I can't even describe the feeling. It hurts, yes, but in such a funny way. Like you put astringent on your head or something.

The hair wasn't yet falling out in chunks but was definitely pulling out easy and thinning some so I held a head shaving/butchering BBQ at the house today. There was such wonderful weather today, not too warm, sunny & beautiful. (Thank you, God.) My brother keeps his head shaved, so that was no change, but my Dad, Becky (my sis) and I all shaved our heads. My bebe, Kateri, is in the picture with us as she has very little hair too!

It was fun actually. My Dad went first and I helped most of the grandkids get up close and guided their hand with the clippers. Then my sis, then me. It didn't seem as emotional as I was expecting. I have been so teary these last few days I was expecting to cry, but it just felt strangely good. Well, especially with the sun, it felt good to feel the wind on my scalp. I was so itchy from all the hair I had to take a shower, but it was fun. My friends, Stephanie & Peter, came with their children & there was lots of laughter & conversation & the kids running around everywhere.
A good day.





No comments:

Post a Comment